We did as much as we could to break camp last night so that we could get a good start this morning. We rolled out of camp at 8:35. We headed north on I-75 until we were well north of Tampa, then we turned westward to take the more scenic US 19 northward nearer the coast. It wasn't near enough to the Gulf to see any water, but it sure beat the Interstate for scenery.
A short stop at Mickey D's for lunch on the fly and a gas stop got us to East Point, where we stopped to top up with gas and ice. Can't let the beer and wine get warm! Then about 35 more miles and we entered St. Joseph Peninsula State Park.
After setting up camp under the shady pines in Shady Pines Campground, we walked across the road to the boardwalk and on to the beach, about a two minute walk, in all. We walked northward on the beautiful white sand beach and took a few photos. We had time to come back to camp for cocktails and an appetizer before heading back to the beach to watch the sunset. It was, as with most things, more beautiful than the pictures.
Just before sunset, I saw a man whom I thought I recognized. When I approached him and his wife, I realized that it was Charlie and Carol, from New Jersey, whom we met last year in Anastasia State Park near St. Augustine! What a surprise. We'll visit with them more while we're here.
Back in camp, after a long day's drive, it was a simple meal of brats roasted over an open fire and a relaxing evening before turning in.
No comments:
Post a Comment