Wednesday was our second full day at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve. Beautiful place! I was a bit late getting out of bed, but we managed to start on our hike at about 11:15. Before we even got on the trail, we saw a snake. It was a black racer, harmless but very fast.
We started out on the Hammock Trail and switched to the Prairie Trail for our four-mile hike. I like the hammocks. They're prettier and there's more shade. We got back to the campsite about 1:30 and had lunch. Marsha read her book and I took a short nap. Then I went visiting.
This park is a mecca for amateur astronomers because of its distance from any large source of artificial light. The upcoming "dark weekend" (no moon) with clear skies promises to be crowded with astronomers. There is a group of campsites that is out in the open, away from all the trees, where the astronomers gather. More on this as it happens.
We roasted some hotdogs over the fire for dinner and went across the street to do dishes at the shower house where we visited with some folks doing their laundry.
It started raining at about 8:00. The high today was 84 degrees. It's 67 now at 8:50pm. Have a nice night!
No comments:
Post a Comment