Got up this morning and headed for Thermopolis. It's only 240 miles. We'll be there in the early afternoon. WRONG! About 25 miles from Tensleep, WY, after going over the Bighorn Mountains, we thought we heard a growling noise coming from the rear. It seemed that when the road surface changed, the noise would stop. Finally, I pulled over to the side of the road and felt the wheel hubs on the trailer. Cool as a cucumber!
We stopped at a gas station in Tensleep. When I looked at the left trailer wheel, I could hardly tell what color it was because it was covered with grease! Two and a half hours later, I had changed the wheel bearings and seal.
We got in the car, turned the key - click, click, click, click. I had forgotten to unplug the trailer from the car and the fridge had drained the battery. After a local guy gave us a jump, we were on the road without the grease cap which had jettisoned itself somewhere east of Tensleep.
So, we got to the rally in Thermopolis at 6:20pm. We arrived to a cheering crowd that had saved us some pizza. A friend even gave me one of his spare grease caps. Life is good!
So that's pretty much the story of our day. See below for some pictures I took along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment