Our Alto R1713 in Florida

Our Alto R1713 in Florida
We're lovin' it!

Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

2017 Feb 04-06 - Fort Clinch, Super Bowl, T-Ray's


We went back to Fort Clinch on Saturday because some of the soldiers were there, doing what they do. It was cold (50s) and very windy, so I don't think all of the soldiers showed up, but it was interesting to see them there.
After visiting the fort, we scouted the downtown area looking for a good sports bar in which to watch the Super Bowl. After walking around and seeing the sites, we settled on the Salty Pelican.
On Super Bowl Sunday, we hiked the Willow Pond Nature Trail and checked out some of the sites around the park. About the time we got back to camp, we got a text from Larry and Kris, our friends from Satsuma, FL, that they were all set up on site #36. Marsha put a load of laundry in and we went over and visited with them for a while before Marsha and I headed for the Salty Pelican to watch the Super Bowl. We got there about two hours ahead of game time, so we could get good seats. We sat at the bar and visited with various people who came and went.
There was John from Connecticut and a French Canadian couple from Quebec whose names I couldn't pronounce, let alone spell. While talking to Kris & Larry earlier, Kris mentioned that shrimp & grits is one of her favorite dishes. Now, I've had shrimp and I've had grits, but never heard of them in the same dish. When we got to the Salty Pelican, we learned that shrimp & grits was the food special of the day, so I had to try it, along with Yeungling, the beer special of the day. I'm not much of a grits guy, but this stuff was fantastic! They make kind of a spicy rue with the grits and add a generous amount of shrimp. It was delicious!
We headed back to camp at halftime and got there just in time to see the start of the second half. Marsha watched it. I sacked out. Guess I missed a helluva second half!
Monday morning, Marsha washed a second load of laundry before we all got on our bikes and headed to town for lunch. One of the park rangers said that T-Ray's had the best burgers on the island, so that's where we went. The burgers were very good and we rode ten miles, round trip, in the bargain!
We putzed around the campground for the remainder of the afternoon and went to Larry & Kris' RV for a sloppy Joe dinner and some conversation.
That's about it for now. Don't know what we're doing tomorrow (Tuesday) but we're going on a boat ride on Wednesday morning. Should be fun!









































No comments: