Our Alto R1713 in Florida

Our Alto R1713 in Florida
We're lovin' it!

Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

2018-01-27 - 31 The first five days of the 2018 Florida Trip


Although there are no pictures for a few of the first five days, I thought a little narrative might be appropriate. We drove 640 miles in the rain to get south of Atlanta, so it had been a long day. 

SHIT! The first night on the road, we arrived at exit 201 off I-75 in Jackson, GA where we always get a bite to eat and spend the night at the Flying J truck stop. I had the bright idea to explore the area before going to the Flying J and see if there were any other restaurants in the area. Well, we quickly ran out of possibilities and turned into a rural subdivision to find a place to turn around. It was dark and when I tried to turn around, I jackknifed the trailer into the side of the truck, putting a nice crease in the rear quarter panel. SHIT! 

So, we went back to the Flying J and ate at the Denny's like we always have, and should have in the first place. We got some sleep, although neither of us slept well, and ate breakfast at the Waffle House across the street before heading for Crooked River State Park in St. Marys, GA. 

We got to the park about 3:00 to find that they were in the midst of a big campground refurbishment and only about one third the usual number of sites were inhabitable. We were lucky enough to get a site, albeit a handicapped accessible one. We got set up, I played my didgeridoo for a while, we had munchies for dinner, and hit the sack early.

Monday morning, as I was eating breakfast, I noticed that there was water dripping from the place there the water spout connects to the body of the fixture. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the compression nut was made of cheap plastic and there were several cracks around its perimeter. Fat chance I'll find a replacement in St. Marys of the neighboring town of Kingsland! I checked Ace Hardware, then went to a nearby KOA hoping they would know where there was an RV supply shop. They did. The nearest one is in Jacksonville, FL., but he suggested that the local Lowe's might have something that would work.

Of course, Lowe's didn't have the chrome replacement part, so I got to thinking that a compression nut of the correct size should work. After about ten minutes of rummaging around the fittings section, I came up with a Brass Reducing Coupling 3/4 in. FIP X 1/2 in. FIP. It worked perfectly! There's a picture of it below. Kind of gives the sink that industrial look!

So that took up a good part of the day. We had bought a bundle of firewood when we registered at the campground, so we decided to build a fire and cook some burgers. I had hopes that the wood we bought would actually burn, but in keeping with the majority of the wood be have purchased on this trip in past years, there were only one or two sticks in the bundle that could rightfully be called "firewood." After unsuccessfully trying to identify said sticks, and burning up two fire starters doing it, I just dumped the whole bundle into the firepit and torched it with a third fire starter. The burgers were great!

Tuesday afternoon, we had a couple of beers down the road at The Bloody Bucket, a bar that's about the size of my backyard shed. After that, we went into St Marys and took a quick walk along the waterfront. The hurricane earlier this year caused so pretty severe damage which was in the process of being repaired. It was cold and windy, so we headed for Seagle's Saloon. We knew Cindy wouldn't be there because her parking place in front of the door was empty, save for the red traffic cone forbidding others to park there.

We went in and took what have become our traditional seats at the corner of the bar. Normally, Cindy would have been there on a Tuesday evening, but she had taken the week off. Stacey was very friendly and took good care of us. We had a couple of drafts before heading down the street for dinner at a seafood place we like.

Tomorrow, we head for Salt Springs Recreational Area, our first park in Florida. Stay tuned!

No comments: