We left home on Thursday, 8/18 and spent the night in Vandalia, OH (Dayton area) where we ate dinner at the Hairless Hare Pizza and Brewery. On Friday, we completed the trip to Sandy's house in Girard, PA, just outside Erie. Sandy is the widow of my old jr. high buddy, Jim, who passed away two years ago.
We met Sandy's friend, Jerry, whom she's been dating since last October. We approve!
On Saturday morning, we went to a street rod cruise-in at Bonnell's Rod Shop, a premiere custom car shop with three shops in the Erie area. Ken had his bike there as did Jerry. Ken is an old fiend of Jim's and mine whom I've known for over 30 years.
There were a lot of cars at Bonnell's cruise-in. We bought some tickets for the Chinese auction and won a wine basket containing wine and a $25 gift card. It was a fun time.
On Saturday afternoon, we made the short drive to Conneaut, OH to witness the reenactment of D-Day Normandy invasion. I would have had more pictures, but when I installed my "spare" battery in the camera, it was dead! I must have gotten confused when rotating my three camera batteries. I hate it wham that happens!
On Sunday, we went to Ken's house and checked out his garage. He's always got some kind of a project going on. I've posted pictures of his custom, blown VW Bus in years past. He built it from the ground up and has had it for many years. Unfortunately, the blower seized up and is awaiting some new parts. If you Google 'Ken's VW Bus', you'll see that it's been very popular in the hot rodding world. Check out the pics and YouTube videos. There are a couple of pics of his red side hack on this post. As you look at it, keep in mind that he formed the sheet metal body of the sidecar by hand! He's a very talented craftsman.
On Monday, we drove up to the Buffalo, NY area to visit Ron and Christina, our friends we met on our Africa trip in 2014. Ron and Christina are Civil War reenactors and avid history buffs. They took us on a tour of the Erie Canal locks in Lockport, NY and a 'behind the scenes' tour on the American side of Niagara Falls. Marsha and I have been to the Falls several times, but had never seen it from this angle.
Enjoy the pictures in Part 1 of this trip. There are a couple of days left which I'll post in Part 2 when I have time.
No comments:
Post a Comment