We were supposed to fly out of Springfield at 6:00am on the 14th, but due to what turned out to be smoke from an overheated exhaust fan in a ladies' restroom somewhere in Elgin, IL, our flight was cancelled and we were automatically rescheduled to leave at 12:20pm on the 15th. Not only were we rescheduled. but instead of flying from Chicago to Phoenix, we were flying from Chicago to Los Angeles to Phoenix! We had a scheduled one-hour layover in Chicago, but after a one-our traffic control delay in leaving Springfield, it was obvious that we weren't going to make our connection to LAX, so we were switched to an American Airlines flight leaving Chicago for LAX at 7:45pm!
When we got to Chicago, O'hare was a zoo, but we managed to find an American Airlines ticketing agent and asked to be put on stand-by for a Chicago to Phoenix flight leaving at 2:40pm. We got lucky and got on that flight. There were probably a dozen empty seats. Evidently, other people had trouble making their connections, too.
Anyway, we landed in Phoenix at 6:10pm and our friends, Susan and Lou picked us up shortly thereafter. We stopped for dinner on our way to their house and spent a few hours relaxing before hitting the sack. I woke up Friday morning in the same position I was in when I fell asleep. I think I was in a stress-induced coma all night!
Friday, we woke up early (body clock still on Illinois time) and had a leisurely breakfast before Lou and I ran some errands which included visits to Home Depot and Lowe's. Then the four of us walked across the street to the Farmer's Market and the grocery store to pick up a few things.
By noon, it was in the low 90s (but it's dry heat) when we met my cousin Ron (known to the family as Dink) and his wife Pat at Bink's Cafe for lunch and a long overdue visit. Dink and Pat live about 15 minutes from Susan and Lou.
After saying so-long to Dink and Pat, we returned "home" and got into the pool. I took an unintended nap on one of the pool floats. Good thing I had applied sunscreen! We enjoyed a light fish dinner by the pool followed (and preceded) by cocktails before going to bed.
So, that brings you up to date. More later.

No comments:
Post a Comment